Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My deep dark secret








Everyone has skeletons in their closet. Everyone has sometihng that no one really knows. Mine isn't such a big deal really but here goes. I confess. I want to be on American Idol. Okay so do a lot of people but my secret goes much deeper than this. You see, being frum kind of prohibits me really going on the show. The singing is an issue, I don't see Simon appreciating my long skirts or 3/4 sleeved shirts, and they probably don't have kosher food in the house (if of course, I made it that far). So I just do what anyone in my situation would do. I pretend. Many people use their car driving time to unwind, sing along with the radio or a CD and just forget all your worries. I use that time to "practice." I flip through the stations singing different songs of different genres to see how good I would be with each kind for the show. When there is nothing good on the radio I turn it off and sing the songs I already know. The songs I would use when I get to choose the song. There are a few songs that I like how I sound singing. The rose by Bette Midler, Angel by Sarah Mclaughlin, and Change in my life by M-pact.
I know it's possible that I am just like William Hung or some of the others that go onto the show thinking they are great. Let me just get this clear. I don't think I am great. Nor do I think I would ever be the American idol. It's just a fantasy. But, these three songs that I have chosen are songs that I have gotten complements on singing so I don't know...
So anyway I think I've gotten all the genres down pat. I'm having a bit of trouble with country. Maybe it is because I am not so into it. But lately, I have been a little hoarse and I give a little raspy edge and maybe that's all I really needed. I think I do okay singing Picture by kid rock and Sheryl crow. Only problem is, that's a duet, and I'm only one person. But, I'll keep practicing.
So there it is. My secret's out. Next time you pass me on the road, you'll know what I'm really doing in my car.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    You aren't alone. I can't stand the show American Idol, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be on the show. Sure, I have plenty of songs that I would sing. The frum thing, granted, is less of a challenge for a guy, and while I certainly don't have as good a voice as some of those freaks on the show, I think I could certainly compete.

    I also REALLY wanted to apply for both The Apprentice (way back when it first started) and also The Amazing Race (although granted, being frum on the Amazing Race would be extremely difficult if not impossible). My wife said I defintely would have been great on the Apprentice, but that she had no interest in my spending 7 weeks in a fabulous apartment with all these hot women while she stayed home with the kids...

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    #1 I love American idol and will be watching it tonight, sorry!
    #2 I wanted to be on Martha's apprentice because I am not very business oriented but I am very creative and love cooking

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    uh oh. I'm very creative and love cooking too... is that allowed? :)

    Great new blog by the way...

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    is it allowed that you're creative and love cooking? why wouldn't it be?
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    I use my car as well, it's the only place where I'm sure no one will be able to hear my singing.

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said…

    Same here. There is a tiny part of me that still hasn't accepted that I won't some day be a rock star!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    prag- I go for the shower too. and, honestly if it weren't for the kol isha issue, I'd sing all the time, everywhere...I used to!
    MCA-why break the dream? go for it! if matisyahu (not a rock star) can do it why not you?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home