Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Monday, February 13, 2006

Always carry your cell phone

(A bit of background information that you will need later in the story: Early in the afternoon Aaron and I started to watch the Godfather. I kept telling him that I was in the mood for popcorn with melted chocolate on it. No, I'm not pregnant, I just get weird cravings sometimes, I swear!)
Yesterday in the late afternoon, Aaron began to dig my car out of it's fort of snow. He had to stop 1/4 of the way into his job to go to mincha maariv. When he came in to quickly grab his stuff he told me that on the way back he will buy fruit for a tu bshvat seder and will stop at my mother's house to pick up Estee's laudry. I also would like to mention to him that rather than expressing my graditude towards him for starting the big project of digging out my car, out of frustration, I yelled at him for standing and talking to the neighbor while I was trying to get Estee to take a nap for 45 minutes. A little while after he left, I remembered something I wanted to tell him and called his cell phone. When I heard it ringing in the other room, I realized that in his rush, he forgot it at home. I called my mother to ask her if he had gone there yet. She said no. A short while after that, my mother called to tell me that Aaron just left, and is on his way home. I started to wash the dishes so that when he came home we could eat dinner. Halfway through the dishes my phone rang again. You know when you feel something is about to happen before it does or when you know who is calling and guess why before they do? The second I heard the phone I thought "something happened to Aaron."
"Aaron's hurt. He fell in the snow," My mother said. My heart was racing. All I could think about was that I was annoyed at him before he left. How could I be so stupid??? My mother said that someone saw him fall and he gave them her number and my mother called Hatzalah. My brother was on his w ay over to meet them. I was pacing and crying. I didn't know what to do with myself. I didn't know what was wrong or where he got hurt. My brother called when he got to Aaron and all I could hear was Aaron screaming in the background. It was so horrible. My brother said that he hurt his ankle badly and they think it might be broken. For reasons unbeknownst to me, Hatzolah wouldn't let my brother go with them so he brought my mother to my house to watch the baby and he took me to meet Aaron. When my mother got to me she gave me the baby's laundry and the bag of Tu Bshvat fruit he bought. At the top of the bag was a big bag of popcorn. How sweet...
When I got to the hospital I foundhim laying in bed wincing with pain. He looked up at me with red rimmed eyes and said in a soft voice "It really hurts Rebecca." Oy the pain I felt for him. They gave him a shot of morphine which I assured him would kick in soon. A while later they took him for x-rays. They wouldn't let me in the room and it felt like hours that I was waiting. I paced the hall in between pushing my ear up to the door and trying to hear what was going on. Every so often I would hear his screams of pain and it made me pace even more. The radiologist came out and assured me it wouldn't be much longer. He walked away and came back shortly with the resident that had been seeing Aaron. She went into the room with him and then came out and left and came back with the doctor that had been seeing Aaron. I knew something was going on. When the doctor came out I asked him what was going on. He said it is definitely broken in a few places but they would like an orthopedic surgeon to come down and look to see if he will require surgery. Of course that was one of Aaron's concerns and I didn't want to scare him quite yet with that information. As we waited for Aaron to be pushed back to his little area in the ER, he began to shiver. uh oh I thought, signs of shock. I covered him with my down coat and he was shivering so hard his teeth were clattering really loudly. I got 5 more blankets and covered him with those. Finally he stopped shivering.
To make a long story short, the orthopedist casted his foot but told him to follow up with an orthopedic surgeon who will most likely say he requires surgery. Aaron''s first question to him was "will we still be able to go to florida on Monday?"
Aaron mastered his crutches beautifully and was able to get up the stairs in apartment with great speed. He got into bed and I propped up his foot with 4 pillows. Shortly after he fell asleep. In the middle of the night while I was feeding Estee I heard him calling for me. He was shivering again. With Estee in my arms I covered him with a few more blankets, finished with her and went back to bed myself.
Leaving for work this morning was even harder than it is when I have to leave my cutie. The poor guy was in so much pain. It took us a half an hour to get him out of bed. Ever time I tried to help him or he pulled his leg up a 1/4 of an inch, he screamed with pain. I felt better knowing that atleast the babysitter was here and he wasn't fully alone.
Right now he is sleeping peacefully in the living room chair. Codeine will do that to you. I just hope he feels better soon.

14 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Oh my goodness. That's terrible. Thank G-d it wasn't even more serious. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you (shopping, cooking) in case things get to much to handle. It must have been so disconcerting to hear your "man" screaming in pain. No sexism intended, but somehow we're used to being the "weaker (albeit infinitely smarter and abler) sex" and having our guys be there for us as the strong rock to lean in. At least for me, anyway. I wonder if you identify with that feeling.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Yes I definitely identify with that. That's what I was feeling when he was screaming. Even more so though when he was so helpless this morning. I felt helpless. And now, I have to take out the garbage!
    He keeps saying how much pain he's in and then says "I know childbirth was bad but it didn't hurt after so this is worse right?" Don't go there honey!

    Thanks for your offer. Right now we are good but we shall see because this will be a 2-3 month process. thanks!

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    2-3 months! Oh, Rebecca! Hugs. And pass this on to Aaron: Yeah, do NOT go there. (Hey, maybe he could start his own blog while he's laid up...)

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    He's sooo not the writing type but he may start reading them. I already got him into orthomom!
    But on the other hand, this is my world, I'm not ready for him to invade it.

    2-3 months healing after surgery they say...

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    Refuah Shleimah!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Please pass my sincere wishes for a Refuah Shelaima to Aaron.

    I once slipped on ice while walking down the steps in front of an apartment building. It was especially scary since I was holding my daughter and it was impossible for me to try to break my fall as I instinctively tried to protect her with both of my arms. I landed flat on my back on the brick steps and could barely walk for days. B'H, it was just a bad bruise and nothing more serious.

    I also once tore several ligaments in my ankle while playing basketball. Since I'm a real man (read: stupid), I sucked in the pain and still played on my injured ankle for another two hours. By the time I came home, I thought I was going to die from the pain. It took over 6 months to heal and I needed to wear an aircast all that time.

    The only reason why I mention both stories is because in the first story, my wife was entirely sympathetic, but in the second story, my wife said that it was my stupidity that was cause for my pain.

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Ezzie- Thank you

    Must- That must have been so scary when you were holding your daughter. The last snow we had wasn't a big deal but our steps were really icy and I was terrified of falling with my baby. That could have been really serious and I don't want to think about that. As for your basketball injury it's not just a guy thing. I was a big sports player in highschool and I did that a bunch of times thinking it was just a twist or just a regular injury only to find out later that I made it worse by continuing to play the game

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Yes, it was quite scary. I don't like to think about it, but I'll be honest and tell you why I mentioned it.

    That story happened with my daughter when she was about a year old (to think she's going to be Bas Mitzvah this summer!). She did bump her head on the steps and had a nasty bruise there for several days. I relived that moment each day for several weeks.

    Then last night, I was in Boro Park leaving a relative's wedding and I was holding my youngest in my arms -- she's turning 3 this week -- and as we were walking towards the car, I lost my footing on the ice and nearly fell. My daughter laughed and said "tatti! what are you doing! that was funny"

    I gave a nervous laugh, but my oldest daughter who was behind me let out a gasp and turned to her brother and said "you see, even tatti has to be careful on the ice"...

    It sent chills down my spine.

    BTW - I hope Aaron is doing better today...

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said…

    Oh, wow. Sorry to hear Aaron is in so much pain. Hope he heals quickly. You must really have your hands full right now. Refuah Sheleimah to Aaron...

    What did the doctor say about Florida?

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    must- kids can be very insightful. I hope I never have to walk outside in the snow or ice carrying a baby but I know that's not likely.
    Mc- Thanks for your good wishes. Yes my hands are full and I'm very tired. Estee slept through the night but Aaron didn't. The dr said that if he has surgery by Friday we can still go to florida but I personally think it will be too hard

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    Oh Rebecca, how awful. I am so sorry to hear this. Hope Aaron is feeling better soon.

     
  • At 3:59 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    thanks stacey!

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    Thank G-D for pain killers.
    I feel sorry for your husband,physical pain is awful.
    Indeed a cell phone is invalubale in situations like these.


    Let us know how it's going!

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Scraps said…

    Oy, that's just terrible. I hope he has a refuah shelaimah. If you post his tehillim name I'll put him on my cholim list.

    Even though so many of us are so excited to see a major snowfall, there are so many inherent dangers in it as well. It's hard to have to watch every step, especially when you're carrying things (or people!) and you're not quite perfectly balanced. It's so easy to slip and injure oneself, not to mention it's harder for cars to steer as well and there are many more accidents when the weather is bad. I had a teacher once who told my class that ever since a student's father was hit by a car and killed in a blizzard, she's never prayed for snow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home