Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Monday, February 20, 2006

"Excuse me, you have something in your teeth"


I would hereby like to start an official international rule. If you are with someone, even if it is someone that you do not know well and they have some dirt on their face, or their fly is open, or they have some food in their teeth, TELL THEM!! Who cares if you feel funny saying something. Why not spare the person of the embaressment? Imagine this scenario: I'm sure this has happened often to many people. You are out with a group of people. You eat lunch. You carry on with your day meeting and greeting people, seeing sites, etc. You get home, take off your shoes, stop in the bathroom for a pitstop, wash your hands, look up in the mirror and wham....how long has that piece of broccoli been in my front tooth? Have I been walking around with that all day long? How many people did I give a bright green smile to? How awfully embarassing!!
This has happened to me many times and once again occurred last night. I was at a wedding. I enjoyed a couple of things at the shmorgesboard (no idea how to spell that, and don't tell weight watchers!) chatted with some old friends, enjoyed the beautiful chuppah ceremony, sat down to have my soup and salad, danced up a storm, started on the main course and then went home. When I got home I got the run down from my in laws on the behavior of my child, (another post, another day) and then rushed off to the bathroom.
To my horror there was a nice piece of food in not one but two teeth. Did this piece of food get stuck during the shmorgesboard or during the meal? Did I sit through the chuppah and numerous smiles to people with this stuff in my teeth. If so, why on earth did no one tell me? How horrible! You see, usually when I am out eating somewhere, Aaron is with me and I can ask him about the food in teeth situation. It usually works quite well. I look up at him with a big smile and he tells me yes or no. This time, Aaron was no where to be found at the wedding, for he was at home stewing over his broken ankle. I think though that my new rule will help a lot of situations especially when your official tooth checker is not available!

8 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Amen, sister! You can count on me if we ever do actually get to spend some time together, in the real world, I mean. (I'm off this week and you're not in Florida and there's this play on Broadway called Doubt that I'm interested in but it's expensive but they might sell discounted tix a tkts but...it's a thought. Or we could go to the "cinema". Love that word. Such a glamorous ring to it. Well, I'm off to other fun vacation activities - Attempting to file my own taxes, for example. Wish me luck!)

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Awesome choice for the image there. Allllllllrighty then!

    And please don't take this as a statement of cheauvonistic nature, but isn't that why women carry around those little compacts -- so that they can see if they have anything stuck in their teeth? Knives also work well as they reflect well.

    But kudos to you Rebecca, because you're obviously not a woman who keeps looking at themselves in the mirror every two minutes. That's impressive.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Ayelet- the movie is a possibility. I shouldn't leave Aaron alone to go see a show. He can't watch the baby anyway. Ooh taxes...something I will never attempt!! good luck!
    must- I am exactly the kind of girl that you would never see with a compact or looking at her teeth in a knife at the table. And, especially not applying lipstick at a table. I am not a tomboy. I can be very girly, I'm just not high maintenance. It takes me faster than Aaron to get ready

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    Becs, the name of this blog makes me sad. Not this post, this blog.

    I can babysit. Maybe:-)... go see a movie Thursday night or something and I'll take care of your babies.

     
  • At 4:34 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    You are so right, if told gently no one will be insulted and you'll save someone being
    embarrassed without even knowing it.
    I'll never thank the person who noticed my fly was open to have whispered that to me!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Scraps said…

    I have told people in a nice a way as possible that they have something in their teeth, or that their slip is showing, and stuff like that. I figure if I do it discreetly and don't make a fuss it's probably okay.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    I was once in a business meeting and a woman's blouse had become unbuttoned in a certain spot (use your imagination). For a minute or two, I wasn't sure if I should tell her or not. Thankfully, another woman in the room finally whispered to her and she was so embarassed. She said the same thing to all of us -- why didn't anyone tell me?!?

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    kar- why does it make you sad?
    prag and scraps- that's exactly my point!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home