Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

music can alter moods

I am cranky. Maybe I didn't put enough caffeine into my blood this morning or maybe an incident that really annoyed me set me off. Either way, I am cranky and I was cranky an entire day. Because of my crankiness, little things throughout the day really irked me. Some things may have angered me regardless but other things were kinda silly but my already sour mood caused me to get annoyed with them. I tend to be very nice. I usually go out of my way to make sure everyone is okay and taken care of. I try to thank people for little things they do for me, ask someone if they are all right if they don't seem like their cheerful self, and help people if they are in need. More often than not, this usually comes back to bite me in the tushy. Either I bite off more than I can chew, I don't get the same respect in return, or my niceness is misinterpreted for fakeness or flirting. Today was different. Today someone actually seemed annoyed with me for trying to help. There is a woman that I work with, lets call her Diane. Diane has a health issue that causes her to be in pain often. She expressed to me a while ago that she has been having trouble with her doctor and I recommended my doctor to her. She was having trouble getting her files sent over and kept forgetting to call so I kept reminding her to call. Every time I see her I ask her how she is feeling. I recommended a product that may help her pain and every time I asked her if she bought it she said no. I went out and bought it for her and left it in her mailbox. She always seemed quite greatful and thanked me for taking care of her. Today she came in with a terrible look on her face. I asked her if she was okay (assuming it was the usual pain) and she told me she threw her back out. I offered to get her ice, she said no thank you. I offered to carry her stuff for her, she said no thank you. I told her that I would make her photocopies for her so she could go and sit down and she said "please stop advertising my pain." I'm not quite sure what she meant by that but I was a little offended because I was only trying to help. Not long after, I saw someone else helping her carry her stuff. Maybe I am overreacting but I was upset. Later on in the day something very silly happened but because it was along the same lines of me trying to help and people brushing me off, I got very down. All in all it was a very annoying day and I am very cranky. To top it all off, I have blue food coloring all over my hands. ugh! My whole drive home I thought that seeing my little cutie pie would cheer me up. When I got home I found her napping. So, I was still cranky. I feel a little bit better now because I held one of my fake American idol auditions in the shower which was quite fun. I belted out a few songs and danced to a few others. I was in my own little world. Which brings me (finally!) to the point of this post. Music can alter moods. If it doesn't alter a mood it can have a simple effect on your emotions for that moment. No matter what kind of mood I am in, if a great song comes on the radio or if I pop in a great cd, getting wrapped up in the song always makes me feel good. I have compiled a list of songs and the emotions they cause:
Songs that make me cry:
1. Fire and Rain by James Taylor
2. Dance with my father by Luther Vandross - I thought it was just because I was pregnant but I listened to it the other day and I still bawled my eyes out.
3. Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton- The whole story is so sad
I am sure there are other songs that should be on this list but I can't think of any right now. But, at certain times in our life, certain songs hold significance and make us think of things. For example, if I had just broken up with a boyfriend, "our song" would make me cry.

Songs that make me excited or happy:
1. Anything by Soulfarm, moshav band, or Eitan and Shlomo Katz
2. State of love and trust by Pearl Jam
3. Blue by Eifel 65
4. Rage against the machine- anything because their songs are so highstrung.
5. The lion sleeps tonight
6. Blink 182
this list can basically go on and on. Most songs make me happy and as you can see the list is very ecclectic.

Songs that calm me down or chill me out:
1. Fiona Apple- I used to listen to her while taking a bubble bath. Don't have time for that anymore!
2. Sarah Mclauglin- anything!
3. oh darn, I had a whole bunch of songs to put on this list and they just escaped me. Lets add that to the list of things that have made me cranky today!

Songs that give me chills:
1. Posession by Sarah Mclaughlin- this was a letter she received from a stalker, pretty scary!

What songs change your mood???


ps- something else that cheered me up today: http://www.fekids.com/img/kln/flash/DontGrossOutTheWorld.swf

14 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Awesome post. Music is a part of my life. I am always humming some kind of tune (usually something that annoys the hell out of me and I can't get it out of my head), but I was raised with music all around me and I've also been on a few records. But that's not for now.

    Of course, different types of music are for different times, and they make you feel different. Sometimes you need a therpeutic song, sometimes a song that will make you jump out of your seat and shake your booty.

    I have totally wacky tastes in music. My iPod contains close to 2000 songs that cover almost every genre. But for the sake of this wonderful post Rebecca, I shal list a few that can be easily put into similar categories like yours:

    Songs that make me teary:
    - One (U2) - not because of the words, but because of personal things that I remember when hearing the song
    - Show me the Way (Styx) - only because they made that stupid mix of all the soldiers during the gulf war. That and Wind Beneath my Wings by Bette Midler
    - In the Living Years (Mike + The Mechanics)
    - Toy Soldiers (Martika)
    - The Search is Over (Air Supply)
    - Faithfully (Journey) -- my "wedding" song
    - Luka (Suzanne Vega)

    Songs that make me excited or happy:
    - Let's Get It Started (Black Eyed Peas)
    - Born to be my Baby (Bon Jovi) (TWO THREE FOUR!)
    - Come Out and Play (The Offspring)
    - Love Don't Cost a Thing (JLO)
    - Behind These Hazel Eyes (Kelly Clarkson)
    - Anything from Metallica
    - Burning Up (Madonna)
    - Get Ready for This (2Unlimited)
    - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
    - Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots)
    - Yeah! (Usher)

    Songs that calm me down or chill me out:
    - Let Go (Frou Frou)
    - These Dreams (Heart)
    - Anything Yanni
    - Disney's Millennium Celebration CD (Instrumental)

    Songs that make me stop and think:
    - Black (Pearl Jam)
    - Seasons of Love (Cast of the Movie Rent)
    - Dust in the Wind (Kansas)

    Songs that I listen to when I'm mad at the world:
    - Lose Yourself (Eminem)
    - Down with the Sickness (Distrurbed)
    - Got the Life (Korn)
    - Anything from Metallica

    There's lots more, but this should be enough for now....

     
  • At 3:56 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Wow, you just reminded me of so many more I could have put on my list. I'm so mad I didn't add offspring and Metallica. Those were the best concerts I went to in highschool and boy was I pumped!
    As for the angry songs:
    Fade to black by metallica
    hurt by nine inch nails
    I would even have to say anything by Rage against the machine because although their music pumps me up to workout, etc it also gets my anger out especially killing in the name of because he goes on for a couple of minutes by screaming F you I won't do what you tell me over and over :)
    Thanks for taking the time to write your list!

     
  • At 4:16 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    I agree that music definitely has powerful influence on feelings.
    Your post reminds of an old Yiddish joke, two man pass a guy on the street who only greets one of them. The guy who got the greeting ask the other guy "is he mad at you"? Answers "I didn't make him any favors lately, so I can't see a reason he should be.
    ps. funnier in Yiddish

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Prag you have a joke for everything don't you? :)

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Rage Against the Machine... Yeah, Killing in the Name of is a great song and so is Wake Up (from the Matrix). Technically, there should be a whole category of F songs.

    My list would include:
    - Back Up Mother ****er (Onyx)
    - Anything from Eminem
    - Name of the Game (The Crystal Method)
    - Killing in the Name of (Rage)
    - You Oughta Know (Alanis Morisette) -- ok, so while this isn't technically an angry "F" song, the lyrics "would she go down on you in a theater" qualify as angry enough for me...

    Other "angry" stuff that I forgot to mention is Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Stabbing Westward.

    I just went through my iTunes library and MAN do I have others to add to the entire list -- this should be an entire post!!!!

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    haha go for it! I'd love to hear! Yeah Alanis is very angry!!! so's pink. I'm sure I could think of a ton more but usually when I am angry listening to angry music doesn't really make me feel better. I need the happy music.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    By the way Rebecca, as a word of constructive criticism, it would be easier to read your posts if you broke up your thoughts into paragraphs. One huge text dump is hard to follow.

    As for listening to angry music while you're angry, sometimes you just want to be angry for a while. Then, when you feel you've had enough, you crank up Walking on Sunshine or something... :)

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger oishkapipik said…

    You have great taste in music I must say. Fiona Apple is amazing, I haven't heard her for a while.

    In San Francisco I went to go see Pearl Jam at the Warfield. Great theatre!! I got there early with a friend and managed to get right up in front of the stage (standing area of course)

    They had two opening bands, the first one was terrible, can't remember the name. The second was Rage Against the Machine. It was their first appearance, no one heard of them before this. It was awsome, they blew everyone away. I personally thought it was even better than Pearl Jam. They also threw to the audiance cassette tape singles with an actual match on the cover. It is probably worth something today.

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Pearl Jam has been my all time favorite since fifth grade. I used to tell my friends that I have a boyfriend named Eddie. But, can you believe that something always happened to stop me from going to their concert. How sad. I finally almost got tickets a couple of years ago but it was for the night after my wedding and I didn't think that would go over so well. oysh!

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    I saw Pearl Jam at Jones Beach -- gosh, must have been around 6 or 7 years ago. Eddie was good. I still remember that night well.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Kar said…

    Becs,
    That was such a fun game! I was doing so well in the beginning but I ended up only getting 5 out of 11.
    I'm sure "Diane" just doesn't want to be a pity case. It's nice to show you care, but if you ask too much like she's a nebach, it will just make her more frustrated.
    Have a great shabbos!

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Where'd you pick up that quiz? very cute.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    my father in law sent it to me

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said…

    Rebecca, sometimes people just don't know how to receive kindness. I hope you will not let your co-worker's lack of appreciation get to you.

    That was avery interesting quiz. I only got about half correct...

    Can't resist the music (way too many to list, but just a sampling)-

    Songs that get me misty:
    The Living Years - Mike & The Mechanics
    Why - Annie Lennox
    When You Say Nothing At All - Allison Krauss
    Hello - Lionel Richie
    I Know You By Heart - Eva Cassidy
    Have A Litte Faith - Delbert McClinton
    Save The Best For Last - Vanessa Williams

    Songs that get me pumped/make me happy:
    Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex
    Justified And Ancient - The KLF
    Call Me - Le Click
    Family Affair - Mary J. Blige
    And We Danced - The Hooters
    Let's Get Married - Jagged Edge
    My Front Porch Looking In - Lonestar
    If You Could Read My Mind - Stars On 54
    I Won't Give Up On You - TKA
    Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
    Miles Away - Winger

    Songs for being mellow:
    Day Is Done - Peter Paul & Mary
    For Emily, Wherever I may Find Her - Simon & Garfunkel
    Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics
    Moonlight Kiss - Bap Kennedy
    Let The River Run - Carly Simon
    Kiss From A Rose - Seal
    Back In The High Life Again - Steve Winwood
    Make Me Lose Control - Eric Carmen
    Africa - Toto
    It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop
    I'll Still Be Loving You - Restless Heart

    Songs that give me chills:
    Me And A Gun - Tori Amos
    Hurt - Johnny Cash

     

Post a Comment

<< Home