Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Sunday, March 12, 2006

On the road to the five towns

I have wanted to post this since last Tuesday but I haven't had a chance. Stupidly, I didn't write any of my thoughts down and I have sadly lost most of them. One of my doctors is in the five towns and whenever I have to go there I get a bit nostalgic because I went to school not far from my doctor's office. Driving down Penninsula blvd, I pass by some streets where I used to get together with friends at their houses. After the appointment, I stopped in central perk to get some dinner. This didn't exist then but I parked a little far and had to walk by the cheese store and the hallmark, two places that I frequented very often in highschool. The cheese store- home of the yummiest coffee that got me through my finals and the hallmark where our favorite Indian friend- Saby- would sell us Nirvana t-shirts and candy. As I walked further I saw that the schitzophrenic man who (or is it whom, I'm so tired!) used to walk up and down central ave. scaring all of us was still there, talking to a tree. (disclaimer: I am not making fun of schizophrenic people, I worked with them for two years....just as a 14 year old we were afraid of him because he often acted a bit scary)
On my way home I was able to do some thinking and I came up with this list:
1. why are cops able to violate traffic laws? I mean, they just run red lights when their sirens aren't even on!
2. I sometimes really miss my hair. In no way do I resent covering my hair or being frum or any other thing you may read into this. I just mean it how it sounds. I miss being able to throw my hair in a bun and not have to wear a headband almost every day.
3. Things I really would like to do in the near future:
a. take photography lessons. I love taking pictures. Wherever I go I look around and see beautiful photo ops. And of course, now, I have the perfect subject!
b. take a cake decorating course
c. take voice lessons, which brings me to #4....
4. Is there a way that kol isha does not have to stand in the way of people's talents? I know my American Idol dream is a bit silly but the truth of the matter is, I really enjoy singing. I miss getting up on stage and singing, which I used to do a lot. oh well...
5. I would really like to start a cooking blog. I often am at a loss for things to make when it is just Aaron and me and find myself playing my own version of Iron Chef and just throwing whatever together. I have a bunch of recipes that have come out of this. For example: chicken cutlets dipped into raspberry dressing and then dipped into crushed up saltines. A yummy alternative to the regular shabbos afternoon breaded chicken.

Unfortunately I know this is really not the way I intended this post to come out, I did my best remembering. But, I do have one more story to add about the next night. Wednesday night I took Aaron to the Dr. He got his cast removed and they put a boot on. Close to the Dr's office is a great restaurant that we tried the week before that just recently went under the Vaad (after being tablet k for many years). We decided to stop again. Aaron waited in the car. I left it running so he can listen to music. As I walked away I noticed him turn the battery on instead. After waiting for forever for our food, I got back to the car very excited that it was still early enough that I would be able to shower, bathe Estee and make it in time for American Idol. I started the car and once again, sputter sputter. The battery was dead. Aaron said to call AAA but I had a better idea. I went back into the store and asked the mashgiach if him or any of his workers have jumper cables. He told me he does. I went out with him, popped my hood and he jump started my car. I was quite impressed with how resourceful I was. I made our minor mishap last 10 minutes instead of a possible hour. And, of course, I still made it home in time for American Idol.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Central Perk is great. I have breakfast there with the wife every Friday morning. They have wonderful toasted muffins.

    Good job on the jumper cables, although you might want to get your alternator checked out -- listening to the radio in the car -- even for an hour -- shouldn't drain the battery...

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    1. They are able cause who is going to fine them?

    4.As a man I have little experience but I've heard a big Broadway star turned frum and now she gives concerts for ladies only.
    You could sing at women only events like Tzedakkah gatherings, summer camps for girls etc...
    And at your Shabbes table(ask your Rav) first I belive you are allowed to join in and sing zemiros.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Kar said…

    I'm scared about missing hair!!

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    must- that's so nice that you and your wife keep up that nice tradition. I love that resaurant. The owner used to own Dougies in Queens and in college two friends worked there so I came in to hang out all the time, he is the nicest guy!
    Thanks for the car tip!
    prag- thanks for the idea but I have a feeling I'm not good enough to give concerts to women like that but who knows....
    kar- don't worry, it's only a once in a while thing and anyway it's so much easier to cover your hair. Getting ready takes so quick because you don;t have to gel or straighten! and besides, if you have a good hair covering usaully you are happier than I am.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home