Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The competative side of Rebecca..


I am quite competative. I also tend to be a little bit of a sore loser and perhaps a sore winner too. If a game, contest or competition is started, no matter how small, I really get into it. A few years ago before I was married or even engaged...(seems like eons ago) a bunch of friends and I went to Hershey Park for the day (the good old days when we were off for the summer, wow what a concept!) On the way back the driver started a game called the land of doubles. I honestly have blocked the story so much out of my mind (because I am crazy!) that I don't recall exactly how it works but the basic premis is this: he knew the secret of the game and he would say two words. Based on that everyone would take turns saying two words and he would tell you if you were right or wrong. From hearing the right words you would have to guess what the secret is of the game. We were in a mini van. I was in the front seat (I get car sick...), another friend was in the middle, and a third friend was in the back row with her boyfriend of the time (she's now married to someone else). The boyfriend said he wasn't going to play because he already knew the game. Halfway through the game, he whispered in my friends ear the secret of the game. Because of this she began to say words that were definitely right. I began to get really annoyed because she was cheating but she was also acting so smart that she knew it and I didn't know it yet and I was getting majorly frustrated. I think I may have even yelled at her. Who knows. I just get really competative. It shows a bad side of me.
At work, throughout the month of march, there were many fun things for the staff to take part in. One thing was the baby game. Whoever chose to participate would submit their baby picture to the office manager and it would be posted on the bulletin board outside the office. The pictures were up for about a week. After a week, she put up current pictures of the people who submitted a baby photo so we would know who to choose from. Every time I walked by the office whether I was going to the bathroom, walking with a student, or anything, I would stop and analyze the bulletin board. It would have only taken me a minute or two to look each time, but, somebody was always there ready to discuss their newest theory of who a particular baby is. "No." I would reply, "look at the face. you gotta look at the face, this person has the same face!" Or I would say "well, it's gotta be so and so...look at the scenery in the picture, she is the only person who comes from a country that has that type of scenery..." Needless to say, I was absolutely addicted. The principal even commented that every time she walks out of her office I am standing by that bulletin board. It became such an addiction that I would think about the babies I was having difficulty with on my ride home from work or as I was falling asleep that night. AFter a few days, the office manager posted answer sheets for us to fill out with our answers and place in her box. Last Tuesday at 2:15 the winners would be announced. 1st place goes to....prize of 100 dollar gift certificate to non-kosher restaurant. phew, not me! 2nd place with only two babies wrong goes to Rebecca, winner of the starbucks gift basket. You mean, I actually win a prize? All I needed was my name in big letters. REBECCA WINS!! (or Rebecca is the best, you decide...)
The next day though there was a nice sign on the bulletin board with mine and the 1st place winner's picture describing our skills and what we want. I do have to also add that I clearly remember playing a board game or a card game with someone, (kar was it you?) and I got annoyed that the person said something happened that didn't so I messed up the whole board and threw everything around. Is there a support group for problems like this?

9 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    Don't think it was me. As the older sister, you were able to just convince me that the rules were actually different and change the rules to your advantage.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    Or maybe I just blocked it out, who knows?

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Is there a support group for problems like this?

    Oh, dear. Is this sort of thing a problem? *sigh* Well, I guess I need to sign up too. Pass the support group info along.

    By the way, do you know how to play Jotto? How are you at Anagrams? Scrabble?

     
  • At 3:54 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    kar, it's driving me crazy, who was it? I clearly remember getting so annoyed that the person was "cheating" that I messed up the cards or the board. hmmm...
    ayelet- I don't know what jotto is but I love anagrams and the puzzles like a man was hanging dead from a ceiling in a room with no windows, there was a puddle of water on the floor, how did he get there. I like scrabble but I don't play it often enough to be good at it. I'm really into board games but Aaron couldn't care less.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    Let's play board games on pesach! ;-)

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    oh yes! and not just mancala, although it's fun it gets old. Trivial pursuit???
    OOOOOOOOOh! Brian's new game,now how competative was I with that?

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Wait. Where are you guys gonna be? Can I come too? Or how 'bout you come visit me at the Hudson Valley nee Granit in the mountains? Please?

     
  • At 2:46 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    don't invite me to play a game of monopoly wiht you, I'm a warned man:)
    You don't need a support group, all you need is to win all the time.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger MUST Gum Addict said…

    Having a competitive nature is important, although like everything else in life, one must be able to control it.

    Besides, if you aren't competitive, then what fun is that? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home