Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The raw chicken dilemma


I was always very careful when touching raw chicken, meat or eggs. But now with the baby here and the fact that she touches everything and I put my fingers in her mouth, I am extra extra careful. I clean all areas that may have come in contact with the raw food with lysol and I scrub my hands with kitchen soap, bath soap and then purell. Yes, I'm a nut. This evening as I was washing the dishes from my shavuos cooking I came across an interesting dilemma. I made a chicken that involved dipping the chicken into three different bowls, each containing a different item, one after another. While scrubbing the bowls with a sponge I wondered to myself. Now, what happens when I use this sponge on another dirty dish later? What happens if I scrub out a pot and then use that pot to make Estee macaroni and cheese? Is she or someone else now getting the remnants of the raw chicken from the sponge? Do I need to have two separate sponges? One clearly labeled: normal every day use, and one clearly labeled: raw food, possible salmonella, e-coli, etc, stay back!? What is the proper protocol for this matter and why on earth has this not been addressed sooner?

8 Comments:

  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    proper protocol: see a shrink to medicate/work out OCD issues :)

    plan B: chill out

     
  • At 4:08 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    oh shoot, I knew it was going to come down to this one day

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Skayabs said…

    "What happens if I scrub out a pot and then use that pot to make Estee macaroni and cheese? Is she or someone else now getting the remnants of the raw chicken from the sponge?"

    Separate pots???? Meat and Dairy? That should absolve the problem...
    Also, I've heard you can microwave your sponge for thirty seconds and it will kill the bacteria. After you use your sponge on raw chicken, microwave it, and then you can be washing your plates and other dishes with cooked chicken!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    shoot. I just realized that I wrote that. I was just giving an example of something I cook for her and wasn't thinking that I was tlaking about chicken. can you tell I'm tired?

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Stacey said…

    You are right to be worried about raw chicken. It is full of bacteria. Just make sure to really soak your sponges in soap and hot water!

    Chag Sameach!

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    I think a sponge is not such a huge expense, so perhaps it worth even if it's not necessary.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Kar said…

    Becs, you wouldn't be using a chicken pot for mac and cheese.
    I also spray lysol on the counter and wash my hands a bunch, but calm down, and if you want to use a special sponge for Estee, fine. I think I would rinse the bowl with hot water first, and then use the regular sponge, or maybe you can use a paper towel when you first clean it so you can throw it out. What do you think?

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    kar- the mac and cheese thing is what I was talking about on the phone. I didn;t realize I Wrote it until after.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home