Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Shavuos help


I'm having a ton of people over for Shavous and I had all my preparations planned out until it dawned on me 5 minutes ago. Yom tov starts Thursday night, I can't cook Thursday night. I made a shopping list for Aaron and he told me he'd get some of the stuff tonight when he goes out to Maariv and the rest tommorow night. But, now that I came to my realization, I can't get some things tommorrow night, I have to cook tommorrow night!
It's so exciting to cook for Shavuos every year. I love trying out all my milchig (dairy) recipes (my best one last year was french toast souffle) and of course being able to make milchig(dairy) desserts (can anyone say cheesecake?)
Of course, I'm hosting the shabbos day meal so that kinda puts a damper on that one! So, it's the usual cholent and regular shabbos day stuff. bleh, nothing exciting! (I do have half of that tri-color kugel frozen from when I made it the last time. It serves 14 so there are a good 7 pieces left, that's okay right?)I'm sick of the same old breaded shabbos day chicken so I'm making the coconut chicken I make sometimes.
I was thinking that a great dessert would be pareve ice cream. Why do all pareve ice cream recipes have eggs in them? Should we really be eating raw eggs? Anyone have an egg free version?
I am going to attempt a cheesecake this year. The recipe calls for 5 blocks of cream cheese. That can't be healthy. That's also atleast 10 dollars right there, is it really worth it?

6 Comments:

  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    My all-time favorite pareve ice-cream: Praline. From Spice & Spirit (the purple cookbook). It's a teeny bit of a hassle, but i think it's awesome. Goes great with anything chocolate (warm brownies, perhaps?).

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    psst. picasa.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I'll check it out, thanks. I love that cookbook, can never get through it all so it's good to find out what's good. I prob won't make it for shavuous though because I don't have time for the bit of a hassle but I'll do it a different shabbos. I'll take a look at it.

    hmmm...trying to tell me something?

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    A few things:
    You CAN cook on Thursday night. So there. Probably not if you're feeding guests at the same time, but you get what I'm saying.
    Most ice cream recipes call for eggs, thats how they are, I think.
    In Israel every place I went for shabbos had parve ice cream, it's so easy to get there. I feel like you could buy it in stores near you and then do something fun with it.

     
  • At 3:56 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    oysh kar, you know me better than that. I'm not leaving all my cooking for the last minute on yom tov. What if I don't have an ingredient? what if I need the food processor? no way jose. And besides, it's too hot, I don't want to leave my oven on.
    As for the ice cream, I think I'm going to make lemon freeze. But, Ilanit (yeah they're coming for Shavuos) is bringing brownies so maybe scooping ice cream on top is not a bad idea

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Kar said…

    I was just proving you wrong, I know you won't do it!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home