Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

universal male thing?

This past sunday was my last day at hebrew school. We spent the first 20 minutes of class practicing for our moving up ceremony that would be that day. While we were waiting for children to use the bathroom I was shmoozing with some of the kids. I don't recall how exactly it came up but one of the boys in my class (they are in second grade) told one of his friends that he sometimes pees in the shower. I looked at him with utter disgust and was surprised actually to find myself responding with "ew, that's gross." I was even more surprised with myself that I allowed the conversation to go on as long as I did. He continued to tell me that all boys do it and sometimes you just have to go while you're in the shower so rather than getting out and getting the floor all wet you just pee in the shower. He said "it goes down the drain anyway...." I think I had a valid response to him. (but lets just put aside the fact that I am their hebrew school teacher for a moment)
me: do you wash your feet in the shower?
him: yeah why?
me:well now you're standing in pee water so you have to wash them again, wouldn't it be easier to get the bathroom floor wet and just dry it with a towel?

He took the conversation further by telling me "well my mom does it. but, only when someone is using the toilet." Wait. Hold on a second. First of all, his poor mother would probably be mortified to know that her son shared that with me and all his friends. Futhermore, I am confused about something. Is it common practice for people to use the toilet while someone else is in the shower? If so, I can't imagine just peeing in front of them too. That's so weird. Am I wrong?
When I was in Israel for a year I thought the guys only peed in the shower because they were hiding from the dorm counselor there and they just had to go. I never realized that this is a universal practice. Is it?

9 Comments:

  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    so you have to wash them again, wouldn't it be easier to get the bathroom floor wet and just dry it with a towel?

    Actually, it sounds easier to just wash your feet again...
    *shrug* no idea about the statistics though

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    easier maybe but who wants pee on their feet? that's just gross!

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    I think when we were very little one of our babysitters (starts with an R--definitely can't spell it... came with us to Maine... you know who I'm talking abt) when either me or Brian was on the toilet told the other one to use the shower. Then again, I was really young, so I could have completely skewed the memory.
    I feel like I shouldn't have shared that story on the internet....
    I sure think it's gross:-)

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    well bri did pee on ants

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Kar said…

    Then again, boys have better control and can aim just for the drain--which probably has no effect on their feet.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger Fo Fee said…

    My sis and I used to pee in the shower, until my mom caught us. She said our bathroom smelled like pee and that we had to stop.

    Also, I was one time at the mikvah, and i had to pee before going in, but for some reason, there was no toilet in my room, only a shower. So... you guessed it. That's why I always wear shower shoes.

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    well atleast you didn't pee in the mikveh. I try not to think about how gross the water probably really is!

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    Well it's been known to happen....

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Another meshugannah mommy said…

    Oh my. Oh my.

    there are no words...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home