Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Monday, June 05, 2006

Not really listening

I feel like such a terrible person for actually admitting this but hey, hopefully this person doesn't read my blog. Honestly though, I bet every single one of you feels this way and I am actually just admitting it!
There is a woman I work with who I happen to really like. I enjoy her company, we joke around with eachother, etc. But, she talks a lot. Usually I don't mind but she's always telling me stories about people I don't know and she always uses the names of the people as if I know them. Her stories are full of tremendous details that are insignificant and make the stories rather boring. One story went on for 5 minutes and it was about people in her family falling asleep while watching a movie or something like that, I'm not really sure. The reason I'm not too sure is because now, whenever she starts telling me a story my brain automatically shuts down and I immediately tune her out. I feel horrible about this. Like I said, I really do like her. It's not my fault really. I'm not doing it on purpose. It's an involuntary biological thing going on in my brain, right? Well, today I had a bit of a problem. I may have to start working extra hard to listen to her stories because two things happened that may have caused her to catch on to my little "problem."
#1 she was telling me a story about something and I responded stupidly with "wow, that's really great" (with amazing enthusiasm) She kind of looked at me funny. It turns out what she was saying wasn't really great at all so I had to make an excuse that my mind isn't working properly today, sorry!
#2 She was telling me another story about something else and halfway through said "did I tell you the story about Janice?" (definitely not the real name and don't even ask me what the real name was because I wasn't listening!!!) I answered no because I don't remember hearing a story about her, I just hope that was right. She re-told the story and this time I listened!!! Go me!
What the heck am I supposed to do?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ayelet said…

    Oh, boy. I hear your problem. That first gaffe was a doozy.

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    I do that all the time, the trick is to nod gently but not too hard.
    Just say "oh" and "really?" etc...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home