Standing here screaming

Sometimes people annoy me. Other times I am stuck in a really funny situation. All in all, I just got to share it!

Friday, September 01, 2006

The yummy!

I love to cook. I'm not sure if y'all know that about me but it's one of my passions. I love everything from the easy to the most intricate gourmet. A few years ago for mother's day I had all the mothers and grandmothers over for a fancy dinner. I decorated the table with rose petals and tea lights. This was the menu:
When everyone came their strawberry mango mesculun salad was served inside half an acorn squash (that was the bowl) The appetizer was Salmon En Croute with cucumber dill sauce. I poured some sauce over the salmon (in a puff pastry-so it was in a slice on the plate) and then put extra inside a cucumber well on the side. The main course was plum chicken, Asparagus Tivoli, and Rosemary shallot and mushroom potatoes. Along the rim of the plate I sprayed some margarine and shook on some pretty spices to decorate the plate. For dessert I served a "beggars purse" which is a warm pastry with fruit chocolate and cinnamon inside. On the side was a scoop of sorbet, either chocolate or mango.
I have the pictures on a different computer, hopefully after my long weekend, I will put them up.
I also really enjoy good easy recipes. When it is going to be just the two of us for dinner or for shabbos, I experiment. Either with new recipes or I throw together whatever I find in the cabinets.
This past week I made two made-up recipes that were delicious and I thought I would share them, hey why not?

The first one was a cross between a meatball dish and a chinese lo-mein so I therefore call it Chinese chopped meat casserole, how creative of me!

1 lb chopped meat
onion
celery
1 can tomato soup
1 can water
1 can mushrooms
can chow mein noodles

I sauteed the chopped onion and celery then mixed all the ingredients (except for a little bit of the noodles) all together and put it in a casserole dish. I topped it with the leftover noodles and baked uncovered for an hour on 350. The noodles on top were crunchy but the ones inside the casserole were soft and lo-meinish :)
bteavon!


The next one was real quick. I had to go out but needed to cook dinner. I love chicken recipes that are covered really tightly and cooked for 3 hours. They come out so soft. I cleaned chicken bottoms and covered them with marinara sauce. I added lots of italian spices- basil (my fav), oregano, etc. I threw in some cut up veggies- zuccini, string beans, carrots, whatever you want. Then I covered it really tightly with foil. (btw, make sure everything in the pan is swimming in sauce. I used a 16 oz can of marinara) I baked it on 350 for 3 hours. The chicken melted in my mouth!!!


I can go on and on with recipes that I love or that I've made up but I will stop here. Have a wonderful shabbos!

9 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Askinstoo said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger ~ Sarah ~ said…

    mmm... yummo.
    perfect post for the next Kosher Cooking Carnival!

     
  • At 3:36 AM, Blogger Baleboosteh said…

    Sounds delicious!

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    I was going to say what Sarah did. :)

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said…

    wow what a meal, if you ever decide to stop teaching you can go into catering:)

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger elf said…

    Everything sounds delicious!

    I love chicken recipes that are covered really tightly and cooked for 3 hours.

    Me, too. And recipes like that are perfect for Shabbat, since you can leave them in the oven while you go to shul and whatnot and they don't dry out.

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Blogger MC Aryeh said…

    My mouth is watering. What an incredible menu!...anything with basil on top has me at hello...I am easy that way...

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Sarah- I did!
    Baleboosteh- thanks, it was!
    Ezzie- ditto on Sarah's
    prag- I've thought about it but I like working with kids too much. I do cooking with my class every friday though.
    Elf- very true! If you have enough liquid you can neever cook chicken too long
    MC- I know we both have that thing for basil!!

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    Your mother's day menu sounds completely fabulous (even the rose petals and tea lights!) I love to cook, too. I wish I had more time to do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home